Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Positive Thinking

Ever since I was a young kid my mom always told me that great things can happen if you think positively.

Nothing has been more helpful with my running than that piece of advice.

I'm proud to have passed it on to my kids as well.  The first time my 6 year old tried to run a whole lap without stopping she got halfway then starting chanting "I can do it. I can do it. I can do it."

My running mantra is "I Can. Dig Deep. Darn Tough."  The phrases are just long enough that I can say/think them with every breath I take when the going gets tough.  When things are really hard and I'm super tired I shorten it to "Can. Can. Can."

"I Can" comes from the Little Engine that Could although I took out the "I think" part.

"Dig Deep" comes from the shoelaces of my Brooks running shoes.

"Darn Tough" comes from and is the name of the brand of running socks my husband wears and loves.

See how easy it is to come up with an inspiring mantra.  You have got to get one.  You'll be amazed at the speed you can endure or the hills you can fly up.

No comments:

Post a Comment