Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day 10k

All I asked my husband for Mother's Day was to run the Kanab 10k with my dad.  Aside from doing the running part of an Olympic distance triathlon (the Spudman in Idaho) I have never raced a 10k.  The day of the Spudman race brought high temperatures and a few other challenges so I didn't meet my goal.  This time I specifically
trained for this 10k by running 6 1/2 to 7 mile tempo runs.  I've also discovered an awesome feature of my Garmin Forerunner 305.  On each of the tempo runs I set the pace alert to sound every time I fell below my goal pace.  Seeing my times improve with each tempo run made my confidence sky rocket.

On race day I again set my pace alert.  It enabled me to blow away my goal finish time by over 3 minutes!  My dad wore his Garmin Forerunner 205 and took 45 seconds off of each mile from his normal average pace.

Beating my 10k goal was the perfect gift for Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment