Saturday, September 24, 2011

Cycling Safety

Since my 14 mile bike ride through busy city streets I've been thinking a lot about cycling safety.  Besides wearing a helmet I didn't know much about the rules of biking.  I found this great website that lists the 10 most common car vs bike crashes and how to avoid them.  What I really like was the bike turn signals you should use.  If you're turning left point your left arm in that direction, if you're turning right point your right arm in that direction.  Not only is it easier to remember for the cyclist but the drivers will have no excuse to not understand what your turn signal means.
Also, remember to wear bright clothes and try not to ride at night, dusk or dawn.  The more sunlight there is the better drivers can see you.  The national highway safety organization's website also reminds us who is allowed to ride on the sidewalk vs on the street.

Read the rules and be safe out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment