Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Recipe: Homemade Bread in 65 minutes

Exactly 4 years ago today I stopped buying bread at the store.  I had been very disappointed with the increasing cost of a loaf of store bought bread and the decrease in quality.  So after attending a cooking class that showed me how to make homemade bread in under an hour I immediately stopped buying bread...a decision that has saved my family buckets of money over the years.

Not only is my bread recipe easy, but it's tasty too.  At our county fair my simple loaf of bread won Best of Show.  I now share this wonderful recipe with you so that you too can have healthy, delicious homemade bread.

4 cups whole wheat flour
3 cups white unbleached bread flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons instant yeast
2 ½  tablespoons vegetable oil
3 cups hot tap water

Mix dry ingredients.  Add oil and water.  Mix until combined.  Spray counter and pans with non-stick spray.  Put dough onto counter.  Knead dough by hand for about 10 minutes.

Divide dough into 2 equal portions. Shape each portion into a loaf and put into a 9”x5” bread pan that has been coated with a non-stick cooking spray.

Let rise until dough is doubled in size (15 - 25 minutes).
Bake at 350° for 28 minutes.

Feel free to adjust the proportions of white and wheat flour.  Keep in mind though to add a little less water if you use more white flour and a little more water if you increase the wheat flour.

No comments:

Post a Comment